Thursday, September 02, 2010

Is Glenn Beck's rise good for Mormonism?

Is Glenn Beck's rise good for Mormonism?
By Felicia Sonmez
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 2, 2010; 11:22 AM

Like conservative commentator Glenn Beck, Stephen Owens is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His in-laws traveled from Utah to Washington last weekend to join Beck's rally on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Owens himself, however, said he has always "kind of rolled my eyes" at Beck's outspoken views.

And when the 42-year-old Salt Lake City lawyer read that Beck publicly questioned President Obama's "version of Christianity" the day after the Washington rally, he was so angry he penned a letter to the local newspaper.

"I think it's arrogant of anyone to say whether someone is a Christian or not," said Owens, 42. "My view of that is, if someone says, 'I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ,' then they're Christian, and who am I to say, 'No, you're not,' let alone [to] the president of our country? I was offended at that." ...

No comments: