Saturday, July 31, 2010

Unitarians have come a long way since anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant actions of their Puritan antecedents

Unitarians have come a long way since anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant actions of their Puritan antecedents.

See all posts on Arizona anti-immigrant law.

SB 1070 Day One
07/29/2010
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix

As I write, my minister and friends are blocking Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jail on this- the first day of SB 1070.

UU's are blocking traffic by staging a peaceful protest on the streets of Phoenix. The police and sheriff's deputies are out with riot gear.
Many UU's have been arrested so far -

* Mar Cardenas of UU San Diego, South Bay
* Rev. Ian Maher of Queens, NY
* Rev. Annette Marquis, Thomas Jefferson District Executive
* Rev. Peter Morales
* Rev. Susan Frederick Gray
* Rev. Melissa Carvil-Ziemer, Kent Ohio
* Rev. Wendy Von Zirpilo, Marblehead, MA and ARE
* Rev. Greg Ward, Carmel CA
* Rev. Colin Bossen, Cleveland
* Kat Crabtree, member of the UUCP
* Margy Angle, member of the UUCP's Immigration Task Force

I am sure many others will be next.

They are putting their personal liberty at risk to stand on the side of love.
I am worried but I have never been prouder of our minister, Rev. Susan, who said,
"In the face of fear that is assaulting our community,
we must not be silent,
we must make it clear which side we stand on.
We stand on the side of love."

As our DRE says: "Very proud to call Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray my boss, my friend and my minister."
I would add - and my heroine.

I am also so grateful to the 100+ UU's who have come here to help and organize and protest and get arrested.
We are all immigrants, we are all Arizona, we are all UU's.

Jimmy Leung

No comments: