Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Good teacher, bad teacher: Women sabotaging women in the workplace

Do women in the workplace sabotage each other? Some of us have noticed this. Below is an essay by a woman born in 1982.

Washington Post
by Hannah Seligson
Aug. 30, 2000

"...Inspired by my own rocky entrance into the work world, I decided to interview other young women and discovered that many of them, like me, were facing a steep workplace learning curve. What was it, I wondered, that was making our first career steps so wobbly when we had been so accomplished and self-assured in school?

Every workplace is different, but certain patterns began to emerge. I experienced and heard of instances when some women, instead of helping a new female colleague, tried to undermine her. Rather than giving “the new girl” the tools to succeed, they might try to sabotage her advancement.

... Women, I have found, can let perfectionism stop them from speaking up or taking risks...

No comments: